LL. B., LL. M.
19 February 2008
Signed Bar Roll:
22 October 2015
Owen Dixon Chambers West
Floor 2, Room 25
525 Lonsdale Street, Melbourne
Admitted to Practice:
Areas of Practice:
- Children's Court
- Coronial Inquests
- Guardianship and Administration
- Intervention Orders
Samantha practises in child protection and criminal law.
Samantha has completed the Victorian Aboriginal Child Care Agency Course on Cultural Competency in Working with Aboriginal Families within the Court System. She holds an Indictable Crime Certificate.
Samantha is also available as a mediator.
In addition to her practice, Samantha is a Teaching Associate at Monash University Law School.
Samantha read with Ms Elizabeth M Brimer S.C., as Her Honour then was, and her senior mentor was Ms Samantha L Marks Q.C., as Her Honour then was.
- Prior to being called to the Bar, Samantha was conducting research at Monash University, examining the concept of family violence as a defence to homicide, in particular the admissibility of expert evidence of family violence as credibility evidence under sections 9AH and 322J of the Crimes Act 1958 (Vic) and sections 79 and 108C of the Evidence Act 2008 (Vic).
- She was also a researcher with the Out of Character? Legal Responses to Intimate Partner Homicides by Men in Victoria 2005 – 2014 project and the Australian Feminist Judgments Project.
- Samantha has also completed a Masters thesis, which analysed the entire body of family provision precedent heard under Part IV of the Administration and Probate Act 1958 (Vic), with the aim of identifying consistent trends in decisions.
- Selected publications are available on the Social Science Research Network.
Pro Bono Practice
- Samantha acts pro bono through Justice Connect.
- Children’s Court Bar Association – Secretary
- Criminal Bar Association
- Howells’ List Barristers Committee – Secretary
Samantha has also served on the Student Engagement Committee, the New Barrister’s Committee and the Women Barristers’ Association