Peter Van Eps
Peter Van Eps
Signed Bar Roll:
March 2013 (Qld)
March 2018 (Vic)
Level 8/ 555 Lonsdale Street
Melbourne Vic 3000
Admitted to Practice:
Areas of Practice:
- Environment Law
Peter is a barrister with over 20 years’ experience, practising in the areas of –
· planning, land use and development (including town planning, infrastructure, land valuation, planning offences and body corporate);
· environment (including approvals, licensing, environmental effects and offences);
· property (including leasing, recovery of land, easements & covenants, compulsory acquisition, COVID-19-related)
· commercial disputes (including contract, building/ BCIPA/ BCISPA claims, corporations and equity);
· administrative law (judicial and merits review);
· defamation; and
· criminal law (specialising in white collar crime and regulatory offences with respect to planning, environment, water, building, fire safety, maritime, food and health).
Peter commenced as a barrister in March 2013 after 13 years’ practice as a solicitor. He practises in Queensland and Victoria and is a member of both the Queensland and Victorian Bars.
Peter regularly appears on behalf of private and public sector clients in all levels of courts, tribunals, planning panels, commissions and mediations in Queensland and Victoria and has done extensive advisory work for individuals, businesses, property developers, Councils and infrastructure authorities.
He has appeared in a variety of matters, including complex, high-profile, major infrastructure matters such as the West Gate Tunnel EES hearings and successfully run prosecutions and trials for plaintiffs and defendants in the abovementioned areas.
He has recently-gained experience representing clients in white-collar crime matters, drawing on his commercial and forensic expertise, as such allegations require in addition to the common apprehensions of criminal law.
In addition to his legal work, Peter also has over 10 years’ business management experience in private industry and property development.
He us able to draw upon this diverse experience and is known for his sound, pragmatic and commercial approach.
Regularly travelling between Queensland and Victoria, Peter can be briefed to act and advise in cross-jurisdictional matters and appear with or without town agents.