BEc. LLB (Hons). LLM (Melb). LLM (Syd).
26 April 2006
Signed Bar Roll:
9 Nov 2006
Admitted to Practice:
Victoria and United Kingdom
Areas of Practice:
Oliver has a particular interest in international disputes (including international arbitration) working between Melbourne and London with such clients as British American Tobacco, National Australia Bank (Europe), Royal Bank of Scotland and Grant Thornton LLP.
Commercial, Banking and Finance, Construction and Insurance.
Working for a number of firms/corporations such as:
- Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner LLP (dispute resolution – banking).
- Irwin Mitchell LLP (dispute resolution – construction and engineering).
- Royal Bank of Scotland (dispute resolution – complex banking).
- Taylor Wessing LLP (dispute resolution – commercial).
- Slaughter and May LLP (dispute resolution – commercial).
Academic Position /
- Lecturer in Civil Procedure at Monash University.
- Lecturer in Civil Procedure at La Trobe University.
- Lecturer in Taxation Law at Victoria University.
- Lecturer in Licencing, Copyright and Franchise law at Leo Cussons.
- Computerised Construction, Architect’s Choice, July 2015.
- Complex Procurements under the New Regime, Construction Index, May 2015.
- Milina v Scandolera & Ors (2012) – Defended a claim for indemnification on behalf of a major insurance company.
- Bransgraove v Sebring Pty Ltd and CLA Trading Pty Ltd t/as Europe Car (2012) – Defended a claim to set-aside various terms of Europe Car’s rental contracts.
- Wickley Nomainees Pty Ltd v L U Simon Builders Pty Ltd & Anor (2012) – Defended a claimed breach of a building contract and pursued a third-party claim for indemnity.
- Wolfe v Permanent Custodians Ltd (2012) – Pursued a complex banking regulatory claim.
- Capital Finance (Australia) Ltd v Melbourne South Pty Ltd & Anor (2012) – Defended a claimed breach of a finance agreement where the financier was on notice of fundamental breaches in the underlying goods contract.
- Healthy Habits Franchising Pty Ltd & Anor v Thai Holdings Pty Ltd & Ors (2012) – Defended a claimed breach of a franchise agreement.
Pro bono practice
- Sitting as a judge for the Honorable Michael Kirby Law Moot and the Monash University Law Moot.
- Sitting as a governor on the full governing board and the audit committee at the Greig City Academy London.
- Volunteering in Africa with African Impact.
- Volunteering in London with City Cycle (Soup Kitchen).
- Participating in the Victorian Bar Legal Assistance Scheme.