LL. B. (Latrobe), B. A. (Media Studies)
13 February 2007
Signed Bar Roll:
16 May 2013
Owen Dixon Chambers West
Floor 5, Room 17A
525 Lonsdale Street, Melbourne
Admitted to Practice:
Areas of Practice:
- Administrative Law
- Children's Court
- Coronial Inquests
- Criminal Law
- Family Law
Michelle practices in Government, Public and Administrative Law.
Since coming to the Bar, Michelle has developed a diverse practice and has appeared in the following jurisdictions:
Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT)
- Proceedings concerning the Director of Housing in the Residential Tenancies List.
- Guardianship proceedings.
- Anti-Discrimination and Human Rights List matters.
County Court of Victoria
- Matters arising under the Crimes (Mental Impairment and Unfitness to be Tried) Act 1997.
Coroner’s Court of Victoria
- Appeared for the Department of Health and Human Services in the Inquest into the death of Luke Batty
- Appeared for a party during a four day inquest into the death of a child. Finding into the death of Felix Hua
Magistrates’ Court of Victoria
- Criminal proceedings for a Local Government authority arising under the Domestic Animals Act 1994 and various infringements.
Family Court of Australia
- Matters arising under the Hague Convention (International Child Abduction)
- Parenting orders.
Children’s Court of Victoria
- Final and interim hearings in the Family Division.
- Conciliation Conferences (mediations) in the Family Division.
Michelle is reading with Erin Gardner.
Prior to coming to the Bar, Michelle was a Senior Solicitor (Senior Associate level) at the Department of Human Services, Victoria for four years where she regularly appeared and advised in relation to:
- Inquests before the Coroner’s Court of Victoria
- Matters arising under the Crimes (Mental Impairment and Unfitness to be Tried) Act 1997 in the County and Supreme Courts
- Tort claims in negligence received from former Wards of the State
- Matters arising from the Charter of Human Rights and Responsibilities Act 2006
- Hague Convention (International Child Abduction) matters in the Family Court
- Residential Tenancies Act 1997 proceedings before VCAT
- Discrimination proceedings in the Victorian and Federal jurisdictions
- Guardianship and Administration matters before VCAT
Michelle was an Associate at Elliott Stafford and Associates for two years, and completed her Articles with the firm in 2006. She regularly appeared for Local Councils prosecuting criminal matters in the Magistrates Court for planning, building, animal and traffic related offences. Michelle also regularly advised in relation to Conveyancing, Wills and Probate and Family Law