B. Comm. (1978) LL. B. (1984)
05 November 1986
Signed Bar Roll:
30 May 1991
Admitted to Practice:
Areas of Practice:
- Civil Law
- Commercial Law
- Motor Traffic Law
- Professional Negligence
- Sports Law
Mark has a broad commercial practice, with particular expertise in insurance law. He has been acting for several of Australia’s largest insurance companies for more than twenty five years.
Within the insurance field, Mark has built a strong practice in complex fraud matters, particularly in relation to motor vehicles, but also in arson and burglary cases.
Mark has also appeared in numerous general negligence matters, from motor vehicle collisions to high value mechanical equipment failures.
He has acted successfully both for and against property valuers, estate agents, body corporate managers, dentists and lawyers in professional negligence cases.
Mark also accepts briefs in commercial debt recovery claims and contractual disputes.
He regularly appears in the Magistrates’ Court, but also has wide experience at VCAT, and in the County, Supreme and Federal Courts.
Sports law is another specialty, with Mark having acted for athletes in drug cases and appeals against Olympic Games non-selection.
In all his cases, Mark employs his strong negotiating, financial, forensic and cross-examination skills to obtain the best possible outcomes for his clients.
Major Corporate Clients have included:
- RACV Insurance
- Insurance Manufacturers of Australia
- Allianz Insurance
- Zurich Insurance
- Fortis Insurance
Private clients have included:
- Emma George (former pole vault world record holder)
- Nicole Boegman (long jumper – appeal against omission from Olympic team 2000)
- Nick Tsoulis (Taekwondo player – appeal against omission from Olympic team 2000)
- Steve Ovett (Olympic gold medallist, former 1500m world record holder)
- Carolyn Schuwalow (former Australian 10000m record holder)
1979-81Marketing, Audit – BP Australia
1986-91Solicitor – Clarke Richards/Purves Clarke Richards
Memberships and Associations
- Chairman of the Synchronised Swimming Australia Appeals Tribunal
- Life Member, Old Scotch Collegians’ Athletic Club
- Life Member, Associated Public Schools Amateur Athletic Association
- Team Manager, APS United Athletic Club
- Melbourne Cricket Club Member
- Melbourne Football Club Member
- Royal Melbourne Golf Club Member