Marie Wilkening-Le Brun
Marie Wilkening-Le Brun
LLB, University London
B.A and Post Graduate Diploma Honours
Criminology, University of Melbourne
Post Graduate Diploma Legal Practice, University of the West of England
2002 Solicitor England and Wales
2005 Lawyer Victoria and NSW
Signed Bar Roll:
Admitted to Practice:
Areas of Practice:
- Accredited Mediator
- Bankruptcy and Insolvency
- Building and Construction
- Commercial and Family Law
- Equity and Trusts
- Proceeds of Crime
- Professional Negligence
- Trade Practices
Marie acts in commercial, professional negligence, bankruptcy and during recent years extensively in family law. She has appeared in the Federal Circuit Court, Family Court, Federal Court, County Court and the Supreme Court. Marie has appeared in:
- Appeals in the Supreme Court from tribunal decisions such as VCAT and in the Court of Appeal in respect of a Property Law Claim.
- Building and constructions disputes in VCAT.
- Bankruptcy and winding up trustees in bankruptcy, administrators, receivers in family law matters.
- Contractual disputes, partnership disputes, loan agreements in the County Court and Supreme Court.
- Disciplinary actions against professionals including medical practitioners, accountants and estate agents.
- Property disputes including loan agreements, caveats and trusts.
Marie provides opinions, represents clients to negotiate settlements, considers strategy, participates in mediations, drafts and settles documents.
Marie has also practised as a Solicitor in the UK from 2000 to 2005 specialising in EU Law and competition law.
Memberships and Associations
Marie was President of the French Australian Lawyers Society from 2014 to 2020. In that role Marie headed a committee of lawyers both French and Australian lawyers. Marie mentored a number of French lawyers and oversaw the growth of the Society nationally.
- ACC and Anor v. Coles Group Pty Ltd, in the Supreme Court for breach of contract claim, oral contract, interpretation, estoppel, quantum meriut claims.
- Apostolidis and others and Kalenik, in the Court of Appeal– Law of Property Act appeal against adjustment order family law matter.
- Cases involving professional boards for medical practitioners, accountants, estate agents including providing advices and opinions as to strategy.
- Department of Education take over of French language immersion program for 300 students of a primary school – extensive project. Issues of Employment contract for teachers and continued role of committee.
- Family Law: Overseas relocations including Derham and Spiller in the Federal Circuit Court, property matters appearing regularly in the Federal Circuit Court of Australia and Family Court.
Pro bono practice
Marie is a legal advisor to the French Honorary General Consul in Melbourne. Marie has been called upon to provide advice on various matters involving multi-jurisdictional law.