Edward De Zilwa
Edward De Zilwa
B. Ec., LL. B., LL. M.
01 November 1979
Signed Bar Roll:
12 March 1981
Owen Dixon Chambers East
Floor 7, Room 2
205 William Street, Melbourne
Admitted to Practice:
Areas of Practice:
- Administrative and Public Law
- Administrative Law (General)
- General Commercial
Since signing the Roll of counsel in 1981, Edward has had wide general experience.
In addition to contract law, he has practiced extensively in public and administrative law that has involved appearances before a variety of statutory tribunals and in judicial review cases.
He is a member of the Australian Institute of Administrative Law and is particularly interested in the rules of statutory interpretation and the law surrounding questions of privilege, especially involving claims of public interest immunity.
Edward has been briefed as counsel assisting delegates of the former ASC in conducting in camera licensing hearings pursuant to the Corporations Law. He has also appeared in the Australian Federal Police Disciplinary Tribunal.
Administrative Law, Judicial Review and Tribunals, Contract, Customs Injunctions, Statutory interpretation, Public Interest Immunity and the Law of Privilege
- Australian Institute of Administrative Law
- Human Research Ethics Committee
- Australian Professional Legal Education Council
Academic Position /
- Edward spent 3 years as a lecturer in law at RMIT University and during that time developed and wrote an undergraduate subject on Freedom of Information.
- Leo Cussen post-Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice – lecturer
- Middendorp Electric Co Pty Ltd v Law Institute of Victoria  2 VR 313. (Questions of public interest immunity and statutory interpretation in which Edward was junior counsel for the Law Institute.)
- Polypacific Pty Ltd v Comptroller-General of Customs and Others (1993) 45 FCR 238. ( A judicial review case involving tariff classification under the Customs Act in which Edward was junior counsel for the Comptroller-General.)
- Scalzo v Australian Telecommunications Commission 14 AAR 339 1991
- Rodriguez v Australian Telecommunications Commission 25 ALD 236 1988
- Australian Trade Commission v Richard Shrapnel Consulting Services Pty Ltd (1988) 85 ALR 287. (This was an appeal from the AAT under the Export market Development Grant Act.)
- Kimberly-Clark Ltd v Commissioner of Patents (1988) 83 ALR 714