B. A., LL. B.
03 November 1999
Signed Bar Roll:
22 November 2007
Owen Dixon Chambers East
Floor 8, Room 13
205 William Street, Melbourne
Admitted to Practice:
Areas of Practice:
- Australian Consumer Law
- Contractual Disputes
- Property Law
- Trust Disputes
- Wills & Estates
Douglas’ practice consists of a broad range of commercial advocacy work, with particular emphasis in contractual and general commercial matters, property, equity and trust disputes as well as corporations and insolvency matters.
Douglas appears in both state and federal jurisdictions at all levels, and has experience dealing in all stages of the litigation process, from opinion and advice work, pleadings, mediation, interlocutory and trial work.
Examples of types of cases: Among others, he has appeared or advised in relation to matters such as:
- contractual disputes,
- insolvency disputes (including setting aside applications, preference claims, etc),
- trust disputes (including claims for breach of trust),
- estate claims and disputes,
- partnership/joint venture disputes,
- property law claims; and
- claims under the Australian Consumer Law (formerly TPA).
Academic Position /
Douglas regularly teaches corporations law at the Leo Cussen Institute.
Douglas has had the following articles published:
- “Time Is Of The Essence” – an analysis of the Aussie Vic Plant Hire appeals regarding extensions of time for compliance with statutory demands under the Corporations Act. Law Institute Journal, vol 82 no 08 (Aug 2008).
- “Clarity Evident in New Act” – a review of the changes resulting from the Victorian implementation of uniform evidence laws with the Evidence Act 2008. Law Institute Journal, vol 83 no 12 (Dec 2009).
- Book Review: Gans & Palmer – Uniform Evidence – Law Institute Journal, vol 84 no 06 (Jun 2010).
- “Applications for directions — the Mento case” – discusses the Mento case, which points to a broadening of circumstances within which courts will give directions to insolvency practitioners. Insolvency Law Bulletin, vol 10 no 5 (Jan 2010).
- “Pushing the limits of limited liability: Pursuing directors of insolvent companies for misrepresentations under the Trade Practices Act and state Fair Trading Acts.” – Insolvency Law Bulletin, vol 11 no 4 (Nov 2010).