16 December 2010
Signed Bar Roll:
8 March 2011
The Charles Darwin Centre
19 Smith Street “The Mall”,
Darwin, Northern Territory
Admitted to Practice:
Victoria, NT, QLD
Areas of Practice:
- Family Law
- Administrative Law
- Criminal Law
- Bankruptcy Law
- Children's Court
- Workers Compensation
I practice as a barrister in Darwin and am the current Vice-President of the Northern Territory Bar Association.
I hold two statutory appointments. I am the Chairperson of the Health & Community Services Complaints Review Committee (‘HCSCRC’). I am also a legal member eligible to sit on the Local Government Disciplinary Committee. I additionally sit on the Northern Territory Rugby Union judiciary panel.
I have experience both prosecuting and defending. I appear regularly in both the Supreme Court and the Local Court.
My matters mostly involve complex violence, such as R v Jazrel Mamarika (‘Groote Eylandt Riots’).
I increasingly also conduct drug matters where evidentiary and sentencing considerations in the Northern Territory can be complicated.
I frequently provide confidential advice regarding inquiries. I appeared as Counsel before the Royal Commission into the Protection and Detention of Children in the Northern Territory. I have advised elements of the Northern Territory Government on youth detention matters since 2014. I have also appeared as junior Counsel litigating the issues of natural justice before an inquiry under the Inquiries Act (NT) in Lawrie v Lawler NTSC 19, Lawrie v Lawler (No 2) NTSC 46, Lawrie & Anor v Lawler NTSC 40.
Family Law & Child Protection
I appear in all Courts in complex property, de-facto relationship, and family violence matters. Whilst traditional family law matters arise in the Federal Circuit Court, even the most complex child protection matters arise in the family matters jurisdiction of the Local Court (see e.g. CEO v LB, BD, SB RE: M, L, O, E, & I, 26 September 2014). De-facto matters can run in the Supreme Court when joined with other civil proceedings, such as in Official Trustee In Bankruptcy v Waa  NTSC 69.
Bankruptcy & Insolvency
I have experience litigating Bankruptcy Notices and Statutory Demands. I advise both companies and individuals on legal issues arising from the Personal Property Securities Register.
My experience covers both Commonwealth and Northern Territory work health matters, mostly involving veterans and emergency service personnel. I am particularly familiar with the legal difficulties caused by overlap of the Military Compensation and Rehabilitation Act 2004 (Cth), the Safety, Rehabilitation & Compensation Act 1988 (Cth), and the Veterans’ Entitlement Act 1986 (Cth). I appear regularly in the Administrative Appeals Tribunal.
Australian Air Force (‘RAAF’)
I joined the RAAF as an Operations Officer in the Active Reserve on 1 August 2001. I completed the 01/02 Initial Officer Course on full-time service at Officers’ Training School, Point Cook. I served on Operations:
RELEX IIconducting maritime patrol border protection duties out of Darwin on several separate occasions between September 2002 and December 2004;
CATALYSTas a safehand courier carrying classified material through several countries in the Middle East Area of Operations during the Iraq War in July 2006;
ASTUTEas a Watchkeeper in Headquarters International Stabilisation Force in Dili, East Timor, from April to November 2007;
SLIPPERas the Senior Operations Officer of Task Unit 633.2.7 (Heron) in Kandahar, Afghanistan, from July to December 2010;
AMULETas the Air Component Command Element during the Perth Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting from October to November 2011; and
PARAPETin Joint Task Force Headquarters during the Brisbane G20 in November 2014.
My operational service has left me with several permanent injuries that have been accepted by the Department of Veterans’ Affairs. This experience assists me in conducting workers compensation litigation, and also gives
depth to my role as Chairperson of the HCSCRC.
I was a secretariat intern and parliamentary servant with the Joint Standing Committee on Foreign Affairs, Defence and Trade in 2002. My research was heavily relied upon in the inquiry into Operational Deployment and Transition Management in the Australian Defence Force (See Chapter 4, Review of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Defence Annual Reports, 2000-2001).
I intend to revisit this work in due course in light of the operational experience of the ADF since 2002.
- Master of Comparative Laws, The University of Adelaide & The University of Mannheim Present
- Professional Certificate in Arbitration, The University of Adelaide Awaiting conferral
- Master of Laws, The Australian National University (‘ANU’) 2014
- Juris Doctor with Honours, Bond University 2010
- Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice, ANU 2010
- Graduate Diploma of Arts, The University of Sydney 2008
- Advanced Diploma of Personnel and Operations Management, RAAF 2005
- Diploma of Government, RAAF 2005
- Bachelor of Arts (Majors: Contemporary Europe & Political Science), ANU 2004
- First in class LAWS77-435 Banking & Finance Law 2009
- First in class LAWS77-475 Australian Government & Politics 2008
Honours and Awards
- Meritorious Unit Citation for Task Unit 633.2.7 2016
- Defence Long Service Medal 2016
- Australian Operational Service Medal – Border Protection 2015
- North Atlantic Treaty Organization Medal (‘ISAF’ clasp) 2011
- Afghanistan Campaign Medal 2010
- Australian Active Service Medal (‘ICAT’ clasp) 2010
- Medalha Solidariedade de Timor-Leste 2010
- Australian Service Medal (‘Timor Leste’ clasp) 2007
- Australian Active Service Medal (‘Iraq 2003’ clasp) 2006
- Australian Defence Medal 2006
- Northern Territory Bar Association Vice President
- Bar Association of Queensland Member
- Law Society of the Northern Territory Member of CPD committee
- Banking & Financial Services Law Association Member
- Resolution Institute Associate Member
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Student Affiliate
- Community Service
- The Hon. Alfred Edden Prize in Australian Government & Politics, Bond University Donor
- Returned and Services League, Darwin Sub-Branch Volunteer & Services Member