B. A., LL. B. (Hons) (USyd)
05 December 2008
Signed Bar Roll:
01 May 2014
Admitted to Practice:
Areas of Practice:
- Commercial Law
- Accredited Mediator
- Building & Construction Law
- Civil Law
Andrew is a commercial barrister specialising in building and construction, and domestic building disputes. He accepts briefs in matters relating to building and construction, including security of payment disputes, domestic building disputes, and general commercial matters.
He regularly appears in a variety of jurisdictions, from the Victorian Supreme Court and the Federal Court of Australia to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal.
His practice also encompasses alternative dispute resolution including appearing in commercial arbitrations and mediations.
Building and construction
- He previously worked as a solicitor at both Corrs Chambers Westgarth and Freehills (as it then was) as a construction litigator and general commercial litigator respectively. During his time at Corrs, he was an instructing solicitor in the matter of Altsom Ltd v Yokogawa Australia Pty Ltd and anor (No. 7)  SASC 49.
- Formerly a full time logistics officer in the Royal Australian Air Force before his law career, Andrew continues to serve in the RAAF reserve, now as a legal officer.
Memberships and Associations
Andrew is a member of the Society of Construction Law Australia, and also the Building Dispute Practitioners Society.
Recent appearances the subject of published decisions include:
- QBH Commercial Enterprises Pty Ltd v Dalle Projects Pty Ltd (No. 2) (2018) VSC 231 – an application for the learned judge to recuse himself from the proceeding;
- P & JM De Leo Pty Ltd v Alphonso (2017) VSC 786 – an appeal from a VCAT decision at first instance relating to a domestic building dispute;
- Radojevic v JDA Design Group Pty Ltd (2017) VSC 554 – an application for judicial review of a refusal by a magistrate to make an order to stay a proceeding pursuant to section 57 of the Domestic Building Contracts Act;
- Elmarraoui v Building Practitioners Board (Review and Regulation) (2017) VCAT 150 – an application for review of a decision of the Building Practitioners Board.
- Alphonso v P & JM De Leo Pty Ltd (Building and Property) (2016) VCAT 1459 – a domestic building contract dispute.
- Pendrigh v Australian Bight Abalone Ltd & Ors (unreported judgement of the VSC, 13 August 2014) – an application to set aside summary judgement.