LL. B. (Hons), B. App. Sci. (Adv Nurse)
07 May 2001
Signed Bar Roll:
24 May 2007
Admitted to Practice:
Areas of Practice:
- Children's Court
- Children’s Court Family Jurisdiction
- Criminal Law
- Family Law
- Guardianship and Administration
- Property Law
- Victims of Crime
- Wills and Estates
Amanda began her working life as a registered nurse and midwife specialising in intensive care/coronary care work and later as a maternal and child health nurse in the community. As a result, Amanda brings a broad life experience to her legal practice. Amanda was admitted to practice in 2001 after completing her articles of clerkship at Phillips Fox (as it was then). Amanda later gained experience in family law and children’s matters before conducting her own legal practice, primarily in the areas of family/de facto law, family violence, child abuse and criminal law.
Amanda undertakes work, including documentation in the following areas of law:
- Children’s’ Court, Family Division appearing for both Department of Health and Human Services, parents, carers and children providing direct instructions, as well as an Independent Children’s Lawyer.
- Family law and de facto law with an emphasis on children’s matters, particularly where domestic violence, drugs, alcohol and mental illness are issues;
- Amanda has expertise as an Independent Children’s’ Lawyer;
- Criminal law, particularly plea in mitigation appearing in the higher jurisdictions;
- Mental health, appearing before the Mental Health Review Board on behalf of applicants seeking review and/or appeal of orders pursuant to the Mental Health Act 2014 (Vic). Amanda also appears at VCAT for review of such determinations;
- Guardianship and administration applications at VCAT, particularly involving the elderly and physical/intellectually disabled applicants;
- Appears at VCAT on behalf of health professionals seeking a review of determinations made pursuant to Health Practitioner Regulation National Law Act 2009. Amanda also appears and chairs health and disciplinary and professional standard panels pursuant to Health Practitioner Regulation National Law Act 2009, particularly in relation to nurses, dentists, doctors and psychologists;
- Provision of legal seminars to health professionals;
- Victims of Crime applications, and
- Coronial inquests, particularly those involving the nursing profession.
Amanda is willing to undertake country travel and circuit work, including legal aid work.