LL. B. (Hons), B. App. Sci. (Adv Nurs)
07 May 2001
Signed Bar Roll:
24 May 2007
Admitted to Practice:
Areas of Practice:
- Children's Court
- Criminal Law
- Family Law
- Wills & Estates
Amanda began her working life as a registered nurse and midwife specialising in intensive care/coronary care work and later as a maternal and child health nurse in the community. Amanda practised nursing as recently as May 2009. As a result Amanda brings a broad life experience to her legal practice.
Amanda was admitted to practice in 2001 after completing her articles of clerkship at Phillips Fox (as it was then). Amanda later gained experience in family law and children’s matters before conducting her own legal practice, primarily in the areas of family/de facto law, family violence, child abuse and criminal law.
Amanda undertakes all work, including documentation in the following areas of law:
- Family law and de facto law with an emphasis on children’s matters, particularly where abuse/violence, drugs, alcohol and mental illness are issues. Amanda also has expertise in ICL work;
- Criminal law, particularly plea in mitigation appearing in the higher jurisdictions;
- Mental health, appearing before the Mental Health Review Board on behalf of applicants seeking review and/or appeal of orders pursuant to the Mental Health Act 1986. Amanda also appears at VCAT for review of such determinations;
- Guardianship and administration applications at VCAT and the elderly applicant;
- Appears at VCAT on behalf of health professionals seeking a review of determinations made pursuant to Health Practitioner Regulation National Law (Victoria) Act 2009. Amanda also appears and regularly chairs disciplinary health and professional standard panels pursuant to Health Practitioner Regulation National Law (Victoria) Act 2009, particularly in relation to nurses, dentists and psychologists;
- Provision of legal seminars at Law Institute of Victoria and to health professionals throughout Victoria;
- Victims of Crime applications, and
- Coronial inquests, particularly those involving the nursing profession.
Amanda is willing to undertake country travel and circuit work, including legal aid work.
Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards Legislation.